Gov. Andrew Cuomo of New York, whose state has had more than twice as many deaths from the virus as any other state, held a press briefing yesterday where he revealed the total cause of the outbreak of the Covid-19 virus in New York.
The New York governor criticized Trump and the federal government for not providing funding to New York City and New York state governments to deal with the aftermath from the coronavirus pandemic during a press briefing Tuesday.
“Donald Trump caused the COVID outbreak in New York,” Cuomo said. “That is a fact. It’s a fact that he admitted, and the CDC admitted, and Fauci admitted.”
Cuomo had a whole list of things that he was mad about, also criticizing Trump for calling the virus the “Chinese virus” and not declaring the European travel ban in time (Trump’s initial travel ban only included China, where the virus originated)., “They missed it,” Cuomo declared. The governor went on and also labeled Trump’s CDC, National Institutes of Health and Department of Homeland Security “incompetent.”
Set aside that in March, for example, Cuomo criticized Trump for proposing to quarantine high infection areas and states as a ‘declaration of war’, but last month Cuomo did exactly that. Overall, Cuomo just seems unhinged. It’s clear that he hates President Trump. He’s certainly not alone in that. But he also seems to be hoping that people won’t look at facts and is apparently trying to deflect criticism and blame, hoping that by ranting so much people will just ignore the reality.
Here is the reality that Gov. Cuomo leaves out:
- New York has more deaths than any other state in the US, more than double that of the second highest state. And the number is more than two and a half times as many deaths as California, which has a population roughly double that of New York.
- New York has a death rate that is roughly 130% higher than the national average.
- New York has the second highest deaths per thousand population, behind only neighboring New Jersey
- New York has not learned medical lessons from the crisis as quickly as other states. While the death rate has continued to go down nationally, New York’s death rate has declined at a much slower rate than most other states
- Despite Cuomo’s bragging at his recent efforts, New York still has the second highest number of cases in the nation behind only Florida. Florida has a population roughly 10% higher and the death rate in Florida is less than a third of New York’s, though Florida has the oldest and thereby most vulnerable population,.
So either Trump decided to just tell the virus to pick on New York somehow or Cuomo is mindlessly blathering. The one thing that the data shows is that there are few, if any, things that can be found that the New York Governor has done well in fighting the virus. The statistics tell the story and don’t lie. And New York’s effectiveness in dealing with the pandemic has not improved over time, in comparison with other states. By any objective measure, New York has done far worse than even more populous and diverse states, such as California and Florida (which are led by governors of different parties, so the issue isn’t a political one). Cuomo has been incompetent. His rant makes it only more obvious that he realizes it and is trying to deflect blame, hoping that people will forget the facts and statistics.